Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Gates

While at work yesterday I striked up a convo with a very interesting elderly man. He was like a nomad - just travelling the world, sleeping under stars and looking for adventure.
I love travelling - so I was instantly all ears and asked about the craziest place he had ever been.
It was The Gates Of Hell, situated in Turkmenistan (I'd never heard of it).
With only a population of 350 (mostly nomadic) and in one of the hottest deserts in the world (The Karakum) is a massive, flaming natural gas pit. People say you can hear the screams and crys from the occupants of hell. Spooky!
There are no fences or safety precautions around the pit and he just camped out the night next to it with his guide - (you can only get into Turkmenistan with one as its pretty new to letting travellers in). He said it was one of the most amazing experiences he'd ever had - and I'm sure he had had a few. So- thankyou Mr. Traveller for having a chat to me yesterday and letting me know about this amazing place and its surroundings.
My plan is to go and explore this part of the world and see this natural wonder before they put it out. Anyone up for it?!




1 comment: